I want to start this post by saying I’m not a specialist but all the information you will read is well documented by re-known Neuroscientists. If you dig deep, you can easily find it. Does it make the research more legit? For some people it does while for others it does not. Whatever it is for you, I say, suit yourself… By the way, this will not be a dissertation so don’t worry. Only interesting stuff.
Many of you are already familiar with brainwaves. They are basically brain states that we find ourselves in at specific moments of the day and all throughout our lives. So far, Neuroscientists have been able to record six of them:
1. Infra-Low (<= .5HZ) : There is little to no information about Infra-Low brainwaves because their slow nature make them hard to detect on a machine. They are associated with brain timing and network function.
2. Delta waves (.5 to 3 Hz) : Delta brainwaves are slow, loud brainwaves (low frequency and deeply penetrating, like a drum beat). They are generated in deepest meditation and dreamless sleep. Delta waves suspend external awareness and are the source of empathy. Healing and regeneration are stimulated in this state, and that is why deep restorative sleep is so essential to the healing process.
3. Theta waves (3 to 8 Hz) : Theta brainwaves occur most often in sleep but are also dominant in deep meditation or hypnosis. It acts as our gateway to learning and memory. In theta, our senses are withdrawn from the external world and focused on signals originating from within. It is that twilight state which we normally only experience fleetingly as we wake or drift off to sleep. In theta we are in a dream; vivid imagery, intuition and information beyond our normal conscious awareness. It’s where we hold our ‘stuff’, our fears, troubled history, and nightmares.
4. Alpha waves (8 to 12 Hz) : Alpha brainwaves are dominant during quietly flowing thoughts, and in some meditative states. Alpha is ‘the power of now’, being here, in the present. Alpha is the resting state for the brain. Alpha waves aid overall mental coordination, calmness, alertness, mind/body integration and learning.
5. Beta waves (12 to 38 Hz) : Beta brainwaves dominate our normal waking state of consciousness when attention is directed towards cognitive tasks and the outside world. Beta is a ‘fast’ activity, present when we are alert, attentive, engaged in problem solving, judgment, decision making, and engaged in focused mental activity.
6. Gamma waves (38 to 42 Hz) : Gamma brainwaves are the fastest of brain waves (high frequency, like a flute), and relate to simultaneous processing of information from different brain areas. It passes information rapidly, and as the most subtle of the brainwave frequencies, the mind has to be quiet to access it. Gamma was dismissed as ‘spare brain noise’ until researchers discovered it was highly active when in states of universal love, altruism, and the ‘higher virtues’. Gamma is also above the frequency of neuronal firing, so how it is generated remains a mystery. It is speculated that Gamma rhythms modulate perception and consciousness, and that a greater presence of Gamma relates to expanded consciousness and spiritual awakening.
Alright, so what does that stuff mean for you anyway? Well, our brainwave profile and our daily experience of the world are inseparable. When our brainwaves are out of balance, there will be corresponding problems in our emotional or neuro-physical health.
For instance, if you live in the past and are holding on to old stuff, you are basically in Theta which is where we hold our ‘stuff’, our fears, our regrets, troubled history, and nightmares. It’s a state of hypnosis sort of speak. In other words, whether it happened minutes, days, weeks, months or years ago, if you are constantly playing tapes from the past, you are in a trance.
Since Theta is our gateway to learning and memory, television and most media outlets use this trance state to program our subconscious mind. They put us to sleep with vivid imagery and insert information inside our mind sort of speak. This is also how society succeeds at controlling our minds by implementing social beliefs/programs that we acquire during childhood and most people will become adults and keep playing the same programs over and over again… They never really snap out of hypnosis. And if you try to tell them they are asleep, they will resist you because Theta is an internal state. They have to snap out of it from within. It’s a dream state. Reality can appear real from their point of view, even tho they are living an illusion (Maya).
Freaky stuff, right? But sometimes I wonder, if we never woke up from a dream, how would we know we were dreaming anyway?
Well, the good news for us is, any process that changes our perception changes our brainwaves…
Hopefully I did not spook you too much (and if I did spook you, you might want to avoid the quotes below) lol 😉
I wish infinite love, health, healing, wealth, success, happiness, awareness, peace and wisdom upon your soul